Storytelling connects us to one another and explains who we are. In an age in which the individual is often alienated, my work as a means of self-expression – I make pictures for myself, to identify with hidden qualities of my character, to better understand my reality, and to express my interpretation of the world around me. A clearer understanding of myself and of my world allow me to explore fragments of life as an abstract form, and also to interact with people I would otherwise not be able to engage with. Studying Politics at a historically Black University has shaped my perception of everyday life and has forced me to questions the world around me. Through my art my opinions and voice is heard. My work is often quite political. I usually focus on identity, gender, social landscape, science fiction, fantasy, and portraiture. My work is one place I feel 100% comfortable about sharing my views, no mater how unpopular or ‘wild’ they may be. My work is a safe space for my worldview to fester creatively. I work around ideas and concepts and explore them very curiously, very child-like.
Brooklyn, NY 11221
Phone: 1 (502) 767-1600 | Email: Imanidennison@yahoo.com
I am a visual artist and filmmaker who aspire to use my knowledge and skills in photography and filmmaking to work for a company or organization dedicated to education and documentary storytelling.
Image Retouching, Studio Lighting, and Video Editing
Canon 7D, Black Magic Cinema Camera, Canon 5diii, Nikon FA 35mm, Mamiya 645, Mamiya c300
Adobe Photoshop/ Lightroon, Bridge, Darkroom (color and black and white). Adobe Premier, Pro Adobe Premiere Elements, and iMovie.
Windows and Mac OS
Howard University: B.A Political Science, Concentration: International Relations, Minor: Photography, 2010 -2014
University of Western Cape: Cape Town, South Africa. Fall 2012-12
Market Photo Workshop: Photography Certificate, Johannesburg, South Africa. Fall 2014-14
- Howard University Hilltop Newspaper, Photographer (2010-2011)
- Creative Minds In Cannes Filmmaker Program. 2013
- “One Day,” Cinematographer/ Gaffer. 2013
- Friendship Collegiate Academy Charter School. Film/Video Instructor. 2013
- Emerge Art Fair, Exhibiting Photographer. 2013
- AFRO newspaper- Contributing Photographer. 2013
- “En Vogue.” Short film. Set Photographer. Personal Assistant, 2013
- Platt Studios, Understudy, Studio/ Gallery intern, 2013
- Howard University Student Exhibition. 3rd place, Photography, 2014.
- “DC, Heal Thyself” Documentary, Co-Director and Cinematographer. 2014
- NECOFA (Network for eco-farming in Africa). Photography/Video Internship. 2014
- Ufahamu: A Journal of African Studies-- South Africa Special edition. Photographer& Author, 2014
- Fine Art, Short Film, Sound operator, 2015
- Anibok Studios, freelance Videographer, 2015
- Garden of Eden, Short film, Cinematographer, 2015
- Capture This, Video/ Motion Picture intern, 2016
- Panavision, Camera Prep Tech, 2017
- Props assistant, The Blacklist
- Props assistant, Tracey Morgan show
- Tide and Moon, Director of Photographer, 2017
- Effloresence, Cinematogrpaher, 2017